Saturday, September 15, 2012
Sunday, August 26, 2012
There is still time to submit your work for this year's edition of the Montreal Stop Motion Film Festival. The submission deadline is September 21st, and the festival itself will run on October 19th - 21st.
Special guest Laika's Mark Shapiro will provide a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Paranorman. More special guests and judges will be announced later this month.
Visit their website for more information.
Sunday, August 5, 2012
Sunday, July 8, 2012
Foam latex is generally the material of choice for a flexible stop-motion puppet, but some of us can’t go and bake toxic chemicals in the kitchen stove. Rubber latex isn’t as flexible, but it is an expectable alternative. This tutorial covers the steps for creating a stop motion puppet with a rubber latex head.
Here is the list of tools and materials, excluding what is needed for the armature, eyes, and costume:
Hot glue gun
Plastalina or Roma Clay
PaintAluminum armature wire
Plumber’s epoxy putty
Thursday, June 7, 2012
- Make your puppet as light-weight as possible. Choose light-weight material. If the puppet is going to walk, it needs to stand up on one foot.
- Clay puppets must not be top-heavy. Design must take this into account. The head and chest can have a lighter material at the core.
- Clay puppets will also stand better if they have big feet.
- Shop for the right stuff. Especially the armature wire.
- Have wipes or a wash cloth standing by while working with epoxy putty.
- The wire will eventually break. Greater space between bones will spread out the bending point and reduce breakage.
- Practice fitting the bolt into the bottom of the foot through the platform before animating. It’s tricky.
Monday, February 6, 2012
Okay, so adding motion blur to bad animation won't make it better, and plenty of great stop motion animation is produced without it, but I think it's a fun effect. It's a way of smoothing out fast moves, and can be done in a subtle way so it doesn't draw attention to itself.
And not to suggest that this is the only way to do it. If you have a different way of accomplishing motion blur, please share it in the comments below.
Sunday, February 5, 2012
I plan to have a new tutorial up on the subject of motion blur within the next couple of days.